Log In to Interact.
       Lost Password?    Register

Belcoo O'Rahilly's

Like & Share:


Juniors Advance To Quarter Final After Replay Success

Box Score

Jul. 3, 2013

JUNIOR CHAMPIONSHIP 1st ROUND REPLAY: Belcoo 2-14 v 1-11 Erne Gaels

Belcoo advanced to the Quarter Final of the Junior Championship at the second attempt having overcome Erne Gaels in Wednesday nights replay by a score of 2-14 to 1-11. The O'Rahilly's were slowly into their stride but by the interval they had established a one point lead before a dominate fifteen minutes at the beginning of the second half seen them outscore their opponents 2-4 to 0-1 which left them well placed to win the game.

 Patrick Burns claiming possession in the middle third during Wednesday's Replay win over Erne Gaels. PIC: Tim Flaherty

It was Erne Gaels who made all the early running and had three points on the board in as many minutes from the first whistle. Colin Ferguson, Mark O'Shea and Ronan Cox all on target. With Belcoo struggling to open their account Aaron Dolan and Patrick Burns both hit wides before Jonathan Feeley got his side on the scoreboard in the 8th minute having collected a neat pass from Shain Gallagher.

Ronan Cox would knock over a left wing free for Erne Gaels but Belcoo were starting to liven up and Feeley was again to find the target after gathering a good diagonal pass from Aaron Dolan. Feeley was at the fulcrum of most of Belcoo's attacks and having collected a Barry McGovern pass he was upended, Patrick Burns did the necessary from the resulting free and with 15minutes played Erne Gaels lead was back just one point, 0-4 to 0-3.

Scores continued to arrive at a rapid rate as the game ebbed and flowed coming to half time. Erne Gaels hit another two in quick succession, substitute Paul Keown landing a wonderful point on his left foot while Gregory McGloin raced down the right to clip over. Patrick Burns replied from a free before Jonathan Feeley added another Belcoo score.

Erne Gaels were enjoying some success down their right side with Jack McCann and McGloin both finding the target while a Feeley free kick kept his side in the contest. During the latter part of the half Belcoo built up some momentum and would hit three unanswered points to lead at the break. Shain Gallagher galloped down the right to kick a neat score, Ronan Meehan capitalised on some determined play from Damian Holleran to level the contest before Patrick Burns burst down to middle to drill over from distance on the stroke of half time. HT Score: Belcoo 0-9 v 0-8 Erne Gaels.

Belcoo continued where they left off and within seconds of the restart, substitute Declan Leonard made a telling contrinution with is first involvement, a raking crossfield pass to the inform Feeley and the attacker had his fifth point of the game. The O'Rahilly's next score would be a goal from captain Damian Holleran. The chance came after some impressive play with Philip Leonard, Aidan McGrath and Feeley all involved down the left side before the latter slipped the ball to Holleran who netted from close range.

  Damian Holleran drilling in the opening goal early in the second half. PIC: Tim Flaherty

Patrick Burns added a free from 40metres while Aidan McGrath fired over from play as Belcoo's dominant start to the half continued. Erne Gaels sole score in the first 15minutes of the second half came from a Ronan Cox free however Belcoo responded with a second goal, albeit an extremely fortunate one as a shot for a point from Ronan Meehan dropped under the crossbar. Belcoo now had a firm grip on proceedings as they held a 2-12 to 0-9 lead with just 13minutes to play.

Erne Gaels to their credit battled back as Belcoo's defence, which had been tremendous throughout, came under some pressure. A scrappy goal lifed the Belleek mens spirits on 50minutes and when Daniel McGuillion hit two quick points Belcoo began to look edgey. Now, only four points separated the sides at 2-12 to 1-11 with 8minutes to play.

The game had sparked into life again, some tough tackling and big hits were dished out as every ball became of vital importance. Belcoo did manage to regain control of the contest over the closing moments to see out the victory. Gerard Mellor won possession from a kickout and the ball was worked to Siemi Rafferty who offloaded to Patrick Burns to score while Rafferty again provided the assist for Feeley to hit the final score of the game.

 Second Half Substitute Seimi Rafferty breaking free of a tackle late in the game as he drove in to set up Jonathan Feeley for the final score of the contest. PIC: Tim Flaherty

All in all it was another enjoyable affair between two well matched team. Their were strong defensive performances from Barry McGovern, James Stewart and the Leonard brothers, Eoin & Philip while Ian Corrigan put in a big shift around the middle with Feeley the go to man in attack.

Up next is Maguiresbridge in the Quarter Final, the game is fixed for Derrygonnelly next Tuesday, 9th July at 8pm.

Team: Aidan Leonard, Dean McDermott, James Stewart, Barry McGovern, Philip Leonard, Eoin Leonard, Shain Gallagher (0-1), Patrick Burns (0-5, 3f), Gerard Mellor, Aidan McGrath (0-1), Jonathan Feeley (0-6, 1f), Aaron Dolan, Damien Holleran (1-0), Ian Corrigan, Ronan Meehan (1-1). Subs Used: Declan Leonard, Gary Maguire, Siemi Rafferty, Martin Corrigan.

Quarter Finals: Tuesday 9th July at 8pm
Aughadrumsee v. St. Joseph's in Tempo
Belcoo v. Maguiresbridge in Derrygonnelly
Brookeboro v. Coa in Maguiresbridge
St. Pat's  v. Kinawley in Derrylin





There are no comments yet.

You must be logged in and associated with this team to post comments. If you are logged in and associated with this team, then your user association type does not have sufficient permissions to post comments.