Log In to Interact.
       Lost Password?    Register

Belcoo O'Rahilly's

Like & Share:


Junior League Final Ends In A Draw

Box Score

Nov. 2, 2014

ERNE CUP DIVISION 2 LEAGUE FINAL: Aughadrumsee 1-9 v 1-9 Belcoo

The Erne Cup Division 2 League winners remains unknown as Belcoo and Aughadrumsee played out a draw, both sides registering 1-9. The game was played in slippery underfoot conditions at Kinawley on Sunday afternoon and it was a game Aughadrumsee held the lead for the vast majority of the time. Belcoo however rallied from six points down early in the second half to go into the lead with just one minute to play but Aughadrumsee conjured a late leveler to force a replay.


The Belcoo side prior to throw in. PIC: Tim Flaherty

There was drama with less than 30seconds on the clock, referee Martin Higgins quickly taking centre stage with a rather bizarre decision to black card Belcoo's full back James Stewart. Aughadrumsee's Stephen Flynn pointing the resulting free kick. The referee was to produce a second black card in the 3rd minute, Aughadrumsee's Aidan Flanagan having his day cut short with a strong tackle.Having set the standard early, numerous other fouls went unpunished over the hour, the majority a lot worse than those of Stewart and Flanagan.

Back to the football and Kieran Conlon tied the game on 5minutes with a shot which the opposing goalkeeper tipped over the bar. Aughadrumsee though were coping better with the conditions and added points from Ryan Boyle and Stephen Flynn to move two clear.

 Philip Leonard retains possession under pressure from an opponent. PIC: Tim Flaherty

Belcoo were struggling to get any cohesive play going forward in what was a disjointed first half display. Gary Maguire would register a close range free before Ryan McGovern picked up a break ball and raced 50yards up the field to fire over an equalising point.

The best move of the entire contest seen Philip Leonard pick out Ian Corrigan inside, he quickly transferred the ball to the on-rushing Damien Holleran who was in one on one with the Aughadrumsee keeper, Holleran should really have netted but the 'keepers feet kept out the effort.

Gary Maguire would add another free for Belcoo to move them 0-4 to 0-3 ahead on 20minutes and Ian Corrigan had a half chance for goal go narrowly wide. Aughadrumsee would finish the half well firing in 1-2 without replay. The goal arrived five minutes from the interval, a slick passing exchange down the left wing seen full forward Dale Crudden cut inside. Padraig Higgins made a fine block to deny the initial effort but the ball rebounded to Crudden who drilled a low soccer style shot into the bottom corner. Two points were added by Stephen Flynn and Paul Shannon to give their side a 1-5 to 0-4 half time lead.

 Damian Holleran is denied a first half goal by the Aughadrumsee 'keeper. PIC: Tim Flahery

Flynn and Damian Flanagan knocked over early scores in the second half to move Aughadrumsee into a commanding position, six points up with 25minutes to play. The O'Rahilly's hadn't really sparked into life during the tie up to this point but they would begin to turn the tide in their favour as Gerard Mellor and Declan Leonard took complete control in the middle with Ryan McGovern fastening onto a number of loose balls.

Jack O'Dolan would begin the revival with a snapshot from close range going over the bar while two Gary Maguire frees had Belcoo back to within three points with 10minutes to play. Aughadrumsee did manage to get a score at the other end in a rare foray forward, Liam Og Strain with a fine point from play to leave it 1-8 to 0-7.

Belcoo's James Gillespie was to sustain an injury which delayed proceedings but when play resumed the O'Rahilly's remained on top and they would find their goal with 6minutes left, a high hopefully ball bounced inside the penalty area where Damian Holleran was quickest to react, a looped palmed effort finding its way into the net.

 Gerard Mellor and his opposite number compete for a kickout in the second half. PIC: Tim Flaherty

Belcoo were looking like winners at this stage and they also came close to adding a second goal, Holleran stricking the post from an acute angle before they would tie the game, Philip Leonard's mazy run down the left ended with a great score from the wing. Belcoo then took the lead in the final minute, Kieran Conlon's shot clipping the crossbar on its way over but there was enough time for Aughadrumsee to mount one last attack.

Gerard Mellor halted his man and picked up the games third black card but it wasn't enough as Aughadrumsee still worked the ball into a scoreable position for Damian Flanagan to hit the point to end the game a 1-9 a piece. The replay is expected to be next weekend. More details when they become available. 

Belcoo: Aidan Leonard, Barry McGovern, James Stewart, Ryan McGovern (0-1), Aidan McGrath, Padraig Higgins, Brian Furey, Gerard Mellor, Declan Leonard, Kieran Conlon (0-2), Philip Leonard (0-1), James Gillespie, Damien Holleran (1-0), Ian Corrigan, Gary Maguire (0-4 frees). Subs Used: Ronan Meehan, Jack O'Dolan (0-1), Martin Corrigan.




There are no comments yet.

You must be logged in and associated with this team to post comments. If you are logged in and associated with this team, then your user association type does not have sufficient permissions to post comments.