Log In to Interact.
       Lost Password?    Register

Belcoo O'Rahilly's

Like & Share:


Senior Lose By Two In Ulster League

Box Score

Feb. 8, 2015

Ulster League Group E: Belcoo 1-7 v 0-12 Owen Roe O'Neills

Belcoo were to suffer a two point loss at home to Owen Roe O’Neills from Tyrone in their second Ulster League fixture on Sunday. The visitors making a late scoring burst in the final 5minutes to secure a 0-12 to 1-7 win during a tough, competitive affair.

The hosts only managed a solitary point in the second half having held a 1-6 to 0-8 half time lead. There was actually a 20minute phase of play in this half which failed to yield a score for either side as both defences nullified their opponents while the shooting on occasions left a lot to be desired before a late rally by the Tyrone men seen them through to the victory.

Paul McGrath would open the scoring from a free on the left wing but Owen Roe’s were looking sharp and hit four points in a row, three of those well taken points from play.

Belcoo got themselves level on 10minute when Paul McGrath found the net. James McGrath won possession 40yards out and fed it to Paul McGrath, he in turn played a one-two with Jonathan Feeley which drew the ‘keeper from his goals allowing McGrath to score.

The hosts kicked on from here with Jonathan Feeley adding two goods scores from great balls inside by James McGrath and Barry McGovern. Owen Roe’s were working hard and had runners readily available which began to cause Belcoo some bother as they continued to clip over some excellent points, levelling matters at 1-3 to 0-6 coming to the interval.

Ryan Leonard would burst forward from centre half back to land a fine long range effort off this weaker left foot and while Belcoo were on top for this period they would kick three balls into goalkeepers arms and also squander a goal opportunity as Feeley and Gavin Leonard combined before Leonard’s pass across goal couldn’t be turned in by James McGrath at full stretch.

At the other end, Owen Roe’s were awarded a penalty kick for a foot block, Belcoo felt it was a harsh call and would say justice was done as Daniel Ray saved a somewhat tame effort.

By the interval Belcoo has restored their lead, Jonathan Feeley with two points, the first coming from a slick forward move involving Niall McGovern while the latter a fisted point from close range after good work by Paul McGrath to leave Belcoo 1-6 to 0-8 ahead.

The second half was more of the same, tough tackles, robust challenges, turnover after turnover as the two defences held sway for some 20minutes. The sole score coming a few minutes into the half when Ronan Meehan was fouled near the sideline. Paul McGrath converted the free, this would prove the only time Belcoo raised the white flag in the half.

Following the lengthy scoreless period in the game, an Owen Roe substitute would register a fine point. The same player would then level matters from a 42m free and while Belcoo missed some good chances at the other end a more clinical Owen Roe’s kicked two great points from play at the death to win by two points.

Belcoo’s next outing is this Friday night (13th February) at 8pm in Kildress.

Team: Daniel Ray, Ryan McGovern, Niall Leonard, James Stewart, Barry McGovern, Ryan Leonard (0-1), Declan Leonard, Christopher Leonard, Niall McGovern, James McGrath, Paul McGrath (1-2, 2f), Gavin Leonard, Aidan McGrath, Jonathan Feeley (0-4), Ronan Meehan. Subs Used: Philip Leonard, Shain Gallagher.





There are no comments yet.

You must be logged in and associated with this team to post comments. If you are logged in and associated with this team, then your user association type does not have sufficient permissions to post comments.