Log In to Interact.
       Lost Password?    Register

Belcoo O'Rahilly's

Like & Share:


Hardworking U14s Lose Opener

Box Score

Feb. 28, 2015

Belcoo U14s began their season with a defeat as they went down to a physically stronger Derrylin side. The contest was preceded by a minute silence for Oisin McGrath while his teammates wore black armbands as a mark of respect.

The very young O’Rahilly’s side worked their hardest throughout the game and with 12minutes remaining trailed by a single point. Derrylin however would register a fortunate second goal before finishing the stronger to record a 2-10 to 1-3 win.

It took the O’Rahilly’s a long time to settle into the game as Derrylin held the upper hand throughout the first half. The O’Connell’s began brightly but in extremely wet and windy conditions it took 10minutes for the white flag to be raised, midfielder Mark Landers splitting the posts.

Kyle Prior would add a point for Derrylin before Oisin Cassidy plundered a goal from close range. Landers would land another point but Belcoo eventually got off the mark when Lawrence McKeown brushed past a few tackles before drilling over a point. Half Time: Belcoo 0-1 v 1-3 Derrylin.

A few positional switches at the interval seen Belcoo come into the game alot better in the second period and for 15minutes the O’Rahilly’s took control of the tie keeping Derrylin scoreless.

Emmett McGuinness and Lawrence McKeown won frees which Oran McCann converted to bring Belcoo back to within a goal. Fiachra McAloon and Josh Killilea were tackling hard in the attack while Dara Flanagan, Oisin O’Loughlin and Gerry Nolan were impressing in defence. Oisin Leonard had an outstanding hour having been assigned a difficult task in keeping Mark Landers quite in the second period.

With the conditions worsening as they rain poured down again Derrylin knocked over their first score of the half, Landers drilling over after a quickly taken free. Belcoo though went straight down the field to register a goal.

Josh Killilea was lively throughout and his persistence paid off when Lawrence McKeown’s ball over the top released the forward, Killilea side stepping his marker before finding the net with a left footed effort to leave it Derrylin 1-4, Belcoo 1-3.

Derrylin responded with points from Kamil Zieba and Cahir Leonard before a long range effort 5minutes from time sneaked in at Jamie Ray’s post for a goal. The next few kickouts seen Derrylin gain possession and kick more points to secure the win although Belcoo had two late efforts at goal, Fiachra McAloon firing straight at Simon Kilgannon in the visitors goals and Josh Killilea poke an effort narrowly wide.

The game was much closer than the final score suggested and it was a fine effort from all in the Belcoo blue but on the day, Derrylin were that bit stronger.

Belcoo face Devenish in the Feile na nOg next Saturday in Belleek, a time has still to be arranged. Training continues Monday and Wednesday at 7pm.

Team: Jamie Ray, Conor McKeown, Oisin Leonard, Sean Boylan, Gerry Nolan, Oisin O’Loughlin, Jack Greene, Lawrence McKeown (0-1), Emmett McGuinness, Fiachra McAloon, Mark Ferguson, Josh Killilea (1-0), Oran McCann (0-2), Cian White. Subs Used: Matthew Mulvey, Ben McNulty, Marc Stewart.




There are no comments yet.

You must be logged in and associated with this team to post comments. If you are logged in and associated with this team, then your user association type does not have sufficient permissions to post comments.