Log In to Interact.
       Lost Password?    Register

Belcoo O'Rahilly's

Like & Share:


Three Late Goals Give St. Pat's Victory

Box Score

May. 18, 2015

U14s: St. Pat's 5-11 v 4-2 Belcoo

Belcoo U14s can be proud of their effort and endeavour this evening in Donagh, the hardworking O'Rahillys battled back from slow start to trail by two points with eight minutes to play, the hosts however hit 3 late goals to secure the win. 

It was the second time these sides met this year, St. Pat’s having won the previous encounter by seven and it was the home side who started brightly despite Belcoo registering the opening score, Emmett McGuinness cutting out a pass before slipping the ball to Oran McCann who fired over. Eimhan Curran would point two fine efforts for St. Pat's while Darragh Rice also split the posts during the early exchanges. 

In the tenth minute Jamie Ray would make a fine save to keep out Curran but the lively centre forward would kick his third of the night moments later. Pats continued to hold the upper hand and two goals along with some points would be registered as they took a firm grip on the game 2-6 to 0-1. 

Belcoo to their credit turned things around, in defence some good blocks were made, Oisin Leonard and Ben McNulty doing well to clear their line on occasions but during the final ten minutes of the first half Belcoo started to get more joy and they began to believe they could turn the tide.  

Lawrence McKeown's strong run and point in the 22nd minute the spark that ignited the O'Rahilly's. Cian White would have his most impressive display of the season, he was a fantastic outlet throughout the game for his side and he would be involved in Belcoo first goal, the wing forward feeding the ball into Marc Stewart on the left side, Stewart's neat pass infield released Mark Ferguson, he burst past his man on the run and slipped Fiachra McAloon through to score a fine goal. 

 Cian White was a hardworking wing forward and great outlet for his side in Donagh on Monday evening. PIC: Tim Flaherty

Buoyed by the three pointer the O'Rahilly's continued on the front foot, Matthew Mulvey working tirelessly in the middle third to win back possession which keep his side in the St. Pat's half of the field.

Having cut the deficit to five with McAloon's goal, Belcoo would work a fantastic second goal. Dara Flanagan, now operating at full back, beat his man to the ball and went on a foray forward, one twos with Cian White and Gerry Nolan seen Flanagan move inside the 40metre line, another one two with Oran McCann seen him clean through on goal and he rifled the ball into the roof of the net to leave it 2-6 to 2-2 at the interval. 

St. Pat’s managed the first point of the second half through full forward Patrick Curran but defences began to gain control as neither side managed a score for almost 10minutes. In this period Belcoo’s defenders Colum Higgins, Conor McKeown and Oisin O’Loughlin were working well although Eimhnan Curran did break through but his effort rebounded to safety off off the upright while Jamie Ray made a good stop to deny Pearse McDermott.

The next score was in the 41st minute and again it was a sweeping forward move from Belcoo that ended in the net. Matthew Mulvey doing well down the right before knocking the ball into substitute Jack Greene, he would carry the ball forward before fisting to Oran McCann, his crossfield ball opened up the Pat’s defence and Fiachra McAloon didn’t have to break stride to gather possession before hitting a low shot under the on-rushing goalkeeper. The goal making it 2-7 to 3-2.

St. Pat’s would enjoy a good spell following the goal as they clipped over three points in a row, Pearse McDermott, Patrick Treacy and Patrick Curran all on target. Belcoo however would cancelled out these points with a fourth goal. A quickly taken free between Lawrence McKeown and Oisin O’Loughlin seen the latter drop the ball into the square, Fiachra McAloon was the quickest to react to the loose ball and was brought down for a penalty. Lawrence McKeown dispatched the spot kick and it was back to a two point game with 8minutes to play at 2-10 to 4-2.

The O’Rahilly’s would squander possession inside the 20metre line and St. Pat’s broke forward, a long range shot taking a bounce which fooled Jamie Ray and found the net. Ray had been excellent throughout making a number of saves, this was an uncharacteristic misjudgemnet by the ‘keeper.

Belcoo failed to get back up the field during the closing 5minutes and Eimhan Curran found the top corner following a great catch while a defensive error gifted the home side a final goal.

The final scoreline was harsh on the O’Rahilly’s who can take a lot from the final 40minutes of the tie. There was good performances all over the field and the substitute’s introduced with 20minutes to play all showed up well, Patrick Martin getting on some possession while Sean Boylan kept his man quiet. Emmett McGuinness picked up a knock and was replaced early in the second half while Josh Killilea missed the game with sickness.

Up next is Newtownbutler in the final league fixture on Wednesday evening in Belcoo at 7.30pm, players are asked to be at the pitch for 6.45pm.

Team: Jamie Ray, Ben McNulty, Oisin Leonard, Conor McKeown, Dara Flanagan (1-0), Oisin O’Loughlin, Lawrence McKeown (1-1), Mark Ferguson, Matthew Mulvey, Fiachra McAloon (2-0), Emmett McGuinness, Cian White, Gerry Nolan, Oran McCann (0-1), Marc Stewart. Subs Used: Colum Higgins, Jack Greene, Sean Boylan, Patrick Martin.




There are no comments yet.

You must be logged in and associated with this team to post comments. If you are logged in and associated with this team, then your user association type does not have sufficient permissions to post comments.