Log In to Interact.
       Lost Password?    Register

Belcoo O'Rahilly's

Like & Share:


Belcoo U12s Come Through Thriller In Garrison

Box Score

Sep. 5, 2015

U12 Division 2: Devenish 1-14 (16) v 3-12 (18) Belcoo

What an advert for underage football this was in Garrison on Saturday afternoon as Belcoo edged a thrilling U12 contest by 2points on a 3-12 (18) to 1-14 (16) scoreline. A superb tussle, tied numerous times over the hour and entering the last quarter nothing separated them, it was the O’Rahilly’s who produced a battling final 15minutes to come out the right side of the result and set up another big game with Teemore on Thursday night in Belcoo.

It was nip and tuck throughout the hour, some superb displays, scores, blocks and pressure applied as every ball was fiercely contested from the first to the last whistle.

Belcoo were to open the scoring from the throw up, Emmett McGuinness found Patrick Martin who played a great ball to Gerry Nolan and he landed an excellent point. Fionan O’Brien, who was the standout figure in the first quarter for Devenish, slotted over a fine point from play before Cian O’Brien knocked over a free however Belcoo tied proceedings when Jack Greene raced away and clipped over a well taken point.

Devenish would hold sway for the remainder of the quarter with the wind, Fionan O’Brien hitting three points while Adam Gallagher also hit the target as the hosts held a 0-6 to 0-2 lead by the end of the first 15mins.

Belcoo would control the second quarter as they kept Devenish in their own half for long periods. Dara Flanagan would hit the first score at full forward before being moved to the midfield where he done well. Ciana McGrath was shifted to mark Fionan O’Brien in midfield also and she excelled over the remainder of the game.

Belcoo managed to net their first goal of the game in the 21st minute, the ball worked across the goalmouth for Jack Greene to fist into the net. Eoin Corrigan was introduced to the fray and he would prove to be a superb addition to his side, his first contribution was create a second Belcoo goal, Oisin O’Loughlin shrugged off his marker to drill to the net before Corrigan landed a free to give Belcoo a 2-4 (8) to 0-6 half time lead.

Devenish had failed to score in the second quarter as some fine defending from Colum Higgins, Niamh McAloon and Conor McKeown kept the hosts at bay. They would however get back on the scoresheet early in the third quarter through a Cian O’Brien free before they retook the lead with their only goal, Conal Maguire the scorer.

It was hectic stuff at this time with scores coming at regular intervals for both teams. Two quick points from Eoin Corrigan gave Belcoo the lead once more. He continued to impress with a third score in a row after gathering a good pass from Jack Greene as Belcoo now led 2-7 (11) to 1-7 (9). Devenish though continued to battle and had another good spell as they clipped over three in a row themselves, the lead changing hands once more. Fionan O’Brien gathering a quick free to point while Malachy O’Flanagan and Conal Maguire did likewise.

As quarter 3 drew to its conclusion Dara Flanagan popped up with a point for Belcoo, Fionan O’Brien matched this at the other end before Gerry Nolan hit a excellent score from a tight angle on the left wing to send the sides into the final quarter tied, Devenish 1-11 (13), Belcoo 2-9 (13).

It was all or nothing now, the O’Rahilly’s needing the win to keep league final hopes alive. They were to produce a determined final 15minutes and learned from being in the same position last Tuesday evening in Lisnaskea.

Defensive they remained solid, captain for the day Jamie Ray once more was super between the sticks, Niamh McAloon was more involved winning back ball as her player drifted further out the field, Colum Higgins was continuing to read the game well as always to nip in and snap up the loose balls. Emmett McGuinness was immense, blocking several balls in a row as Belcoo pushed for the win.

The opening score of the final quarter would come from the hosts as Cian O’Brien tapped over a free, Eoin Corrigan, the youngest player on the field, did likewise at the other end with another nervously kick. Belcoo would get what proved to be a telling goal next, a long punt forward from Dara Flanagan bounced over the Devenish keeper as Oisin O’Loughlin applied pressure, 3-10 (16) to 1-12 (14).

Dara Flanagan would point for Belcoo but Devenish battled back with two more Cian O’Brien efforts to leave it a one point game with 3minutes remaining. Belcoo though would manage to see it out, having missed several efforts at goal from long distance frees, they did raise the white flag at the most important time. Emmett McGuinness, the man to seal the win with a well hit free.

The final whistle was greeted with a big cheer from players, parents and supporters of the O’Rahilly’s who had just witnessed their side come out the right side of another tremendous hour of underage football.

Training continues on Tuesday from 7pm to 8.15pm ahead of Thursday’s home game with Teemore.

Team: Jamie Ray, Aoife Keaney, Niamh McAloon, Conor McKeown, Ciana McGrath, Oisin O’Loughlin (1-0), Emmett McGuinness (0-2), Aine Barrett, Gerry Nolan (0-2), Patrick Martin, Jack Greene (1-1). Subs: Dara Flanagan (1-3), Colum Higgins, Eoin Corrigan (0-4), Ben McNulty, Eimear Magee, Cara Grey.


With one game to play, Belcooo must beat Teemore on Thursday at 6.45pm in Belcoo to force a three way playoff between Lisnaskea, Teemore and Belcoo.


Team P W D L Pts
Lisnaskea Emmetts 4 3 0 1 6
Teemore Shamrocks 3 3 0 0 6
Belcoo O`Rahilly's 3 2 0 1 4
Devenish St Mary's 3 0 0 3 0
Enniskillen Gaels A 3 0 0 3 0




There are no comments yet.

You must be logged in and associated with this team to post comments. If you are logged in and associated with this team, then your user association type does not have sufficient permissions to post comments.