Log In to Interact.
       Lost Password?    Register

Belcoo O'Rahilly's

Like & Share:


Heartbreak For U16's Who Lose Final By Single Point

Box Score

Nov. 15, 2015

U16 DIVISION 3 LEAGUE FINAL: Tempo 5-9 (24) v 3-14 (23) Belcoo

Belcoo U16's were to suffer an agonising one point defeat in their Division 3 league final against Tempo at a very wet and windy Derrylin this afternoon. The last kick of the contest from Tempo's captain Lorcan McStravick sealing the win for his side. 

The O'Rahilly's held the upper hand for the majority of the tie having built up a good lead with the aid of the wind in the opening half. While Tempo clawed their way back into the tie, Belcoo continued to battle and would level proceedings in the 60th minute through Dermot Burns but there was enough injury time played to allow McStravick to fire over the winning score. 

Whilst conditions were far from ideal it was an absorbing game, littered with well taken scores as both sides rattled in goals and knocked over points at regular intervals over the course of the hour. 

Tempo were first to register, Oisin Jackson netting a goal inside two minutes, the lively forward along with McStravick accounting for all but one of the Tempo scores on the day. 

Belcoo began to settle and penned back Tempo for a good ten minute spell. Ronan Maguire did well to create an opening and Eoin Shiels fired over a good point. Shiels would bag a three pointer moments later after Conor McAloon and Mark Ferguson exchanged a neat one two on the right wing in the build up to Shiels' strike. 

A long range Conor McAloon free dipped under the bar for an unlikely goal in the 10th minute before Colm Furey swung over two fine points from the left wing and Conor McAloon clipped over an equally impressive point to see Belcoo move seven clear by the 15th minute, 2-4 to 1-0. 

Tempo had struggled to gain possession in midfield however their first foray forward some time brought a superb save from Oran McCann, the ‘keeper getting down low to his left to beat away a fierce McStravick attempt. The midfielder would land an exceptional 45 against the breeze to get his side on the scoreboard moments later but Belcoo remained on top. 

Gerard McHugh was having a fine game in defence for Belcoo, winning back possession and using it well while James McAloon was a steady presence at full back. 

The O'Rahilly's continued to add to their tally, Eoin Shiels again registered from play while Conor McAloon kicked two similar frees from the right. Ciaran Flanagan was next to find the target with an excellent score before Shiels added two more to push Belcoo 11pts clear coming to half time. 

In the final minutes before the break, McStravick broke through and drilled a shot high into the roof of the net but Colm Furey replied with a point as the half ended 2-11 to 2-2. 

The wind was always going to be a factor but Belcoo made a great start to the half as Eoin Shiels hit 1-1 inside three minutes which pushed the O'Rahilly's 13point ahead. Tempo though would have a great spell from the 35th to 50th minute where they outscored Belcoo 3-6 to 0-1 which gave them a one point lead. 

Lorcan McStravick thumped a hat-trick of unstoppable shots past McCann while Oisin Jackson clipped over four points, two of which were from frees. The tempo full back got forward to land a score with McStravick also raising the white flag. 

Belcoo were trying their best to stem the tide, Lawrence McKeown and Dermot Burns were working hard at the back while Ciaran Flanagan, Conor McAloon and Eoin Shiels were trying to drive the O'Rahilly's forward. Conor McAloon would hit the Belcoo point in this period as the contest entered the final 10minutes with Tempo one ahead, 5-8 to 3-13. 

The tie got a bit scrappy from here to the finish as every ball was fiercely contested. Both defences were doing well, turning over numerous attacks and having been quite clinical all game in front of the posts, Tempo began to kick wides under pressure. 

Belcoo had a few attacks come to nothing before they did manage to level the game in the final minute, Mark Ferguson doing great work to win back possession and feed Dermot Burns, Burns' shot for goal hit the bar and went over. Draw game. 

Tempo though would win the kick out, before winning a free 50yards form goal, McStravick played a one-two and slotted over the winning score. Heartbreak for the gutsy O'Rahilly's who'd put in a massive shift throughout the game. In the end though it was Tempo who are the Division 3 League Champions for 2015. Commiserations to the O’Rahilly’s players and management.

Team (13 a side): Oran McCann, James McAloon, Lawrence McKeown, Dermot Burns (0-1), Ronan Maguire, Gerard McHugh, Ciaran Flanagan (0-1), Colm Furey (0-3), Michael McGourty, Conor McAloon (1-4), Eoin Shiels (2-5), Shane Doherty, Mark Ferguson. Sub: Cormac McHugh.





There are no comments yet.

You must be logged in and associated with this team to post comments. If you are logged in and associated with this team, then your user association type does not have sufficient permissions to post comments.