Log In to Interact.
       Lost Password?    Register

Belcoo O'Rahilly's

Like & Share:


U13 Girls Beaten In League Final

Box Score

Oct. 15, 2016

It was more heartbreak for the Girls as they made it to the Division 2 League Final before going down to Devenish in Lisnaskea on Saturday afternoon. On the day, the O'Rahilly's had seen off the challenge of Newtownbutler in the Semi's before they faced off with their Garrison neighbours in the Final. They should hold their heads high and be very proud of their efforts over the course of the season though as they've really improved and developed during the past 7 months. 


Team Pic before the Semi Final


Division 2 Semi Final: Belcoo 1-3 v 0-1 Newtownbutler. 

Belcoo were to dominate the majority of this contest in the teeming rain and they made a blistering opening to the game, hitting an early 1-2. Ciana McGrath landing the opening point of the tie before Aine Barrett swivelled to fire over. The goal came on 4 minutes with Mikayla Maguire prodding to the net from close range. Newtown were to hit back with a pointed free kick but Belcoo had the better of things over the reminder of the half. 

 Aoife Keaney brushes aside her opponent to get Belcoo going forward again

Sam Martin was getting on plenty of ball at centre half back while Sinead Barrett was constantly involved, making good use of the space. Aoife Keaney and Niamh McAloon were controlling the middle sector as Belcoo penned back the opposition but failed to register another score. 

On the stroke of half time, goalkeeper Cara Gray made an excellent save when a Newtown player broke through one on one, the save left her side four to the good at the interval.


Scarlett O'Connor & Niamh McAloon throwing their weight around to win loose balls

In the second half it was again tight, Newtown were operating with a sweeper and Belcoo fell into the trap of hitting the extra player with the ball on numerous occasions. Rachel Nolan impressed when introduced, getting plenty of touches while she did well, teeing up Aoife Keaney for the only score of the half. Keaney along with Aine Barrett continued to drive the O'Rahilly's up field and they were to keep Newtown scoreless during this half as they progress to the final. 

  Ciana McGrath bares down on goal in the Semi Final Victory


Division 2 Final: Devenish 4-7 v 2-4 Belcoo. 

The scoreline doesn't really reflect how tight this Final was as Belcoo were well in it for long periods after a shaky opening. Devenish had started the better side, Hannah Murphy knocking over two points but as Belcoo began to assert themselves Sinead Barrett knocked over a great point. 

Devenish though hit back with a goal. A soft free kick award seen Belcoo switch off, a ball inside released their centre forward who thumped in a goal. 


Eve Barrett attempts to stop her much bigger opponent while Eimear Magee is first to a loose ball 

Ciana McGrath picked up an eye injury and had to come off but it only served to fire up the O'Rahillys. They were now, stronger in the tackle, had the bit between their teeth so to speak, out in front at the back and winning most of the battles throughout the field. Some fine interceptions from Siofra McAloon and Rhianne McGuinness had Belcoo moving forward. Eimear Magee was getting through a mountain of work at wing back, breaking up play and winning back ball. 

Aoife Keaney and Aine Barrett continued to plough forward with Niamh McAloon and Sam Martin helping to pin Devenish back in their own half of the field for a sustained spell of Belcoo pressure. Aine Barrett was to point after good work from Keaney with Ciana McGrath re-entering the field and blazing wide a great opportunity for a goal. 

McGrath though would provide the Belcoo goal seconds later when she played in Eve Barrett, who drilled low past the Devenish keeper, draw game 1-2 each with five minutes to go to half time. 


Rhianne McGuinness holds on tight while Mikayla Maguire wrestles for possession with her opponent

Belcoo were going well, forcing plenty of overcarries but the good work was undone in 60seconds during stoppage time at the end of the half. Devenish hit two goals, a shot for a point dipping under the bar while they drilled in a second goal having won possession from the next kickout. 3-2 to 1-2, it was a six point deficit as the half time whistle went. 

Hannah Murphy and Chantelle Timoney tapped over early frees for Devenish at the start of the second half. Belcoo responded with a Ciana McGrath goal. The O'Rahilly's frustrations grew as time went on with a lot of thier challenges penalised by a free. They continued to battle, Eimear Magee was having a fine final while Eimear Gray, Rhianne McGuinness and Sam Martin stopped several Devenish attacks. Aine Barrett still brought the fight to the opposition with Aoife Keaney and Niamh McAloon while up front Eve Barrett, Scarlett O’Connor and Riona Keaney began to get more touches. 

 Sinead Barrett's determinded face says it all as she moves in to block a clearance

Niamh McAloon almost netted a goal, drilling a shot at goal across the face of the nets going narrowly wide before Aoife Keaney knocked over a free but Devenish retook control, they were to strike two further goals and slotted over another point to effectively seal the win with five minutes to play. 

Niamh McAloon was to point for Belcoo before the finish. Ciana McGrath cracking a shot against the crossbar from close range while a few more late chances failed to hit the target meaning it was Devenish who took home the title. 

Belcoo. Cara Gray, Siofra McAloon, Rhianne McGuinness, Eimear Magee, Sam Martin, Aine Barrett, Aoife Keaney, Niamh McAloon, Sinead Barrett, Ciana McGrath, Scarlett O'Connor, Mikayla Maguire, Eve Barrett.. Rachel Nolan, Riona Keaney, Eimear Gray. 




There are no comments yet.

You must be logged in and associated with this team to post comments. If you are logged in and associated with this team, then your user association type does not have sufficient permissions to post comments.