Log In to Interact.
       Lost Password?    Register

Belcoo O'Rahilly's

Like & Share:


Extra Extra Time Defeat In Feile Final

Box Score

Apr. 22, 2017

Disappointment once again in a final as Belcoo U14 Boys made it to the Feile na nOg final in Aughadrumsee today but having failed to be split after normal time and extra time, more extra time was required before Teemore prevailed to take home the trophy.

The final was a titanic tussle as both sides gave it absolutely everything. By the finish, Belcoo looked like the walking wounded. Just the bare 15 with them, some serious injuries were picked up along the way in what was a tough, bruising and hard hitting encounter.


The two teams had earned their places in the final with Semi Final victories. Teemore beat Irvinestown 0-4 to 1-0 while Belcoo beat Aughadrumsee 1-6 to 1-3. 

The O'Rahilly's began their semi final with a bang as Michael Burns and Dara Flanagan worked the ball upfield for Flanagan to thump in a goal. The pair combined in the third minute to set up Emmett McGuinness for a point. 

Aughadrumsee though had a number of lively players and soon tied matters with a goal and point of their own. The Belcoo response was immediate, Oisin O'Loughlin cantering 60yards upfield before slipping the ball to Josh Killilea and he offloaded to Jack Greene to point although the hosts levelled again it was Belcoo who entered the break one up. Eoin Corrigan setting up Josh Killilea who registered the final point of the half for 1-3 to 1-2 lead. The O'Rahilly's though could have been further ahead, Patrick Magee got through on goal but his shot was saved and he thumped the rebound against the crossbar.


(Left) Dara Flanagan assesses his options (Right) Emmett McGuinness races upfield

Aughadrumsee once again tied matters in the early minutes of the second half but Belcoo got on top again. Sean Boylan was going well for the O'Rahilly's with Daniel O'Connor flying on the opposite wing. Conor McKeown was growing into the tie coming forward and it was Michael Burns who clipped over a free when the impressive Dara Flanagan was hauled down on a driving run. 

Belcoo went on to hit two points in the 16th minute , Michael Burns firing over after Eoin Corrigan had did well and from the resulting kickout Josh Killilea gained possession and registered what proved to be the final score. 



Belcoo were to boss the opening half with some terrific defending to turnover Teemore several times. Dara Flanagan was immense in the middle of the park with captain Gerry Nolan going well alongside him. 

The O'Rahillys had to reshuffle due to a groin injury to talismanic centre back Emmett McGuinness who was restricted to a slow walk. Dead leg to the hardworking Daniel O'Connor curtailed his strong surges upfield but Belcoo were going well. 

Oisin O'Loughlin showed excellent hands all day and having taken a kickout from Jamie Ray he powered forward from full back, through the middle, before finding Dara Flanagan who inturn fisted to the static McGuinness who returned a fist pass for Flanagan to punch into the net. 

A mazy run and finish from Killilea after a neat pass from Conor McKeown had Belcoo 1-1 to 0-0 up at the interval. 

 Ben McNulty looks to win back possession.

Belcoo furthered their advantage from the throw in, Dara Flanagan racing through and splitting the posts with a great effort. Teemore though were to hit two goals in the 12th minute to lead. Jack McGann getting his first clear run of the game, he knifed through the Belcoo defence to drill into the net. 

Moments later Jamie Ray did well to punch clear a dangerous high ball, a flat footed Belcoo defence failed to react and Teemore had their second. The O'Rahilly's response was to level, Michael Burns scoring after O'Loughlin had carried the ball 40 odd yards upfield. 

Jack Quinlan pointed for the Shamrocks but Dara Flanagan slotted over a great free from distance with four minutes to play and Michael Burns edged Belcoo ahead but McGann responded in the final minute to force extra time. Belcoo 1-5 to 2-2. 

Extra time. (5mins each way)

Belcoo got the opening score as Killilea broke a few tackles and pointed however by the interval Aaron Lee had tied proceeding. Jamie Ray was to make a fine save low to his left to deny a goal. 

It was nip and tuck, hard hitting with little protection to players. Belcoo hit the front with two minutes remaining. Josh Killilea slotting over a free kick. It looked like the O'Rahilly's had it but having did well to stop Teemore, they lost possession and conceded a free with 25seconds left. McGann slotted it over and forced more extra time. 1-7 to 2-4.

Extra Extra Time (5 more mins each way). 

This time, Teemore began the brighter and pinned Belcoo back for the full period, they were to register three points, two of which were free kicks.  Jamie Ray was forced to make a good save again while Conor McKeown twice, took the back off the goal line. 

In the second half, Emmett McGuinness went into goals with Jamie Ray moving to the forward line. Teemore though hit the first score to move four clear. It left Belcoo an uphill task and despite some promising attacks, Teemore's full back was impressing.

With 90seconds remaining, the O'Rahilly's won a penalty. Teemore put their full back into goals and he made a fine stop from Killilea, the rebound was bundled to the net by Dara Flanagan but a free out was given. It wasn't to be for Belcoo as Teemore had secured the win in the end by a four point margin. 2-8 to 1-7. 

Belcoo though can be proud again of their efforts over what was tough day. They will learn a lot from today's outing and look forward to the remainder of the season where they will compete on  three more fronts, the League, Championship and All Ireland Feile. 

Up next is the start of the Division 2 League this week. Belcoo travel to Ederney for 7pm on Thursday and then they are away to Teemore on Saturday for a 4pm throw in. Training continues Tuesday at 7pm. 

Team. Jamie Ray, Ben McNulty, Oisin O'Loughlin, Sean Boylan, Conor McKeown, Emmett McGuinness (0-1), Daniel O'Connor, Gerry Nolan, Dara Flanagan (2-2), Jack Greene (0-1), Michael Burns (0-4), Cian White, Eoin Corrigan, Patrick Magee, Josh Killilea (0-5).




There are no comments yet.

You must be logged in and associated with this team to post comments. If you are logged in and associated with this team, then your user association type does not have sufficient permissions to post comments.