Log In to Interact.
       Lost Password?    Register

Belcoo O'Rahilly's

Like & Share:


Féile Day 1

Jun. 23, 2017



Kinawley 3-8 v 1-0 Belcoo

Graiguecullen 4-9 v 0-1 Belcoo

The Under 14 had a tough day at the office as they suffered heavy defeat to Kinawley and an exceptionally strong Graiguecullen side from Co. Laois. The O’Rahilly’s began brightly against Kinawley with Oisin O’Loughlin seeing  a shot strike the crossbar while a pointed effort when narrowly wide. Kinawley soaked up the early Belcoo pressure but broke downfield to rattle in an unanswered 2-4 by half time.

Belcoo started the second half brightly and worked a penalty. Oisin  O’Loughlin hit the post, the ball fell to Michael Burns who slipped it back to O’Loughlin to fire in a goal. It was as good as it got with Kinawley taking a stranglehold of the game again to run out winners 3-8 to 1-0.

 Oisin O'Loughlin was in the thick of the action v Kinawley 

In the second game v Craiguecullen, the Laois side completely blitzed Belcoo, physically strong and powerful they laid siege on the O’Rahilly’s goal. Thumping in 3-6 by in the interval. Jamie Ray was busy and made some superb saves. Emmett McGuinness made his customary blocks while Josh Killilea, Michael Burns and Eoin Corrigan tried taking the game to the visitors.

Some good blocking and well timed tackles by Gerry Nolan in the second half gave Belcoo a foothold in the tie. Josh Killilea slotted a free while Jamie Ray and Conor McKeown on the goal-line denied more goals. Full time 4-9 to 0-1.

 Goalkeeper Jamie Ray out round the 45m line v Graiguecullen 

Wolfe Tones: The Belcoo U14’s met the team they are hosting at the Community Centre prior to any football and host families received big fruit hampers from the Armagh side. Wolfe Tones were to draw 5-3 to 5-3 with Kinawley before going down 4-6 to 1-11 to Graiguecullen in a great game.

Tomorrow morning, Belcoo play Wolfe Tones at 11.30am before all teams will be given details of who they play in the Knockout Quarter Final stage.



Belcoo 1-4 v 0-1 Shannon Gaels

Belcoo 1-3 v 1-2 London

The Girls were to win both games in today’s Feile as they got past neighbours Shannon Gaels 1-4 to 0-1 before they played a thrilling game with London, coming out 1-3 to 1-2 winners after a titanic tussle.

In the opening game the shooting boots were left behind as the O’Rahilly’s dominated but couldn’t split the posts. Shannon Gaels would register a point in the first period from one of their few attacks. Niamh McAloon, Rhianne McGuinness and Eimear Magee going very well at the back.

Belcoo found their feet midway through the second period as the lively Scarlett O’Connor jinked in for the levelling score. Aoife Keaney followed up with a free kick before O’Connor again darted toward goal and popped over a point. Sam Martin, Cara Gray and Ciana McGrath would finish the game strongly and Aoife Keaney landed an excellent point from distance before Scarlett O’Connor netted the games only goal at the end.

 Cara Gray and her marker go for a 50/50 ball 

The second match v London was a good , exciting, intense and a tremendously tight encounter which griped the entire crowd. The sides traded scores early on as Aoife Keaney and Ciana McGrath slotted over for Belcoo while London matched these efforts. At the back again Niamh McAloon was having a tremendous game, her sister Siofra McAloon was also getting stuck in and coming out with some great ball. Eimear Magee, Ciara Nolan and Rhianne McGuinness continued to go well.

Riona Keaney was winning every ball sent her way while Scarlett O’Connor was heavily involved in all Belcoo attacks. London were to grab a goal after Mikayla Maguire made a fantastic save, pushing a shot onto the bar before being tossed in over the line gathering the rebound. 1-2 to 0-2 at half time.

Belcoo produced a sensational display of pure grit, determination and they had a willingness not to be beaten as they battled back in the second half. Aine Barrett came to the fore at centre back with Niamh McAloon continuing to block ball and thwart London attacks with Eimear Magee and Siofra McAloon.

Up front Aoife Keaney was driving the side forward while Scarlett O’Connor was fastening onto several lose ball. Cara Gray and Sam Martin continued to ensure London couldn’t get out. Belcoo were to level the game when Riona Keaney and Rachel Nolan combined for Nolan to drill a crisp shot into the bottom corner.

 Niamh McAloon takes Belcoo out from the back v London 

The O’Rahilly’s followed up with a fine score by Aoife Keaney to lead 1-3 to 1-2 with 8minutes to play. Those 8 minutes felt like forever for the large crowd of supporters on the sidelines. It was ding dust between the two sides as every ball was fiercely contested. It was hard work but by the full time whistle, the smiles and cheer said it all. An epic game was won by the narrowest of margins.

 Handshakes at full time v London 

 A happy Aoife Keaney embraces Sharon McGrath after the narrow win v London 

Scotland: Having had a 4 hour flight delay the Scottish Girls arrived late to the venue but it didn’t deter them as they won both games in impressive fashion before meeting up with their host families and retiring for the evening. Belcoo Girls will play Scotland at 10.45am in the morning.

Massive thanks to Shannon Gaels for their wonderful hospitality in Blacklion all day and big thanks to the volunteers within our club that helped look after our brilliant facility that was looking sublime.




There are no comments yet.

You must be logged in and associated with this team to post comments. If you are logged in and associated with this team, then your user association type does not have sufficient permissions to post comments.