Log In to Interact.
       Lost Password?    Register

Belcoo O'Rahilly's

Like & Share:


Intermediate Champions 2017

Box Score

Sep. 23, 2017


Belcoo 2-9 v 1-11 Lisnaskea

pics by Donnie Phair & Tim Flaherty

Belcoo marked their centenary year with an exhilarating victory over a Lisnaskea side who more than played their part in an enthralling final. There was little to separate these two sides throughout and the game was in the melting pot right down to the last play of the game when Seamus Conlon seized possession of a Belcoo kick-out and ensured the trophy would be heading to the shores of Lough MacNean.


  Pre Game Picture - Ready for Action (DP)

Paul McGrath would get his team off to the perfect start in the 2nd minute, after excellent build up play involving Dean McDermott and James McGrath created the opportunity which was skilfully placed to the bottom corner of the Lisnaskea net. Daniel Kille would get the Skea side on the scoreboard moments later, popping over a free after Mark Little was fouled. The Emmett’s would suffer another early blow, when the physically imposing midfielder Ryan Glancy would receive a black card for a late tackle with only 4 minutes gone.

  Paul McGrath fires in Belcoo's opening goal after 80seconds (TF)

Full forward Johnny Feeley would get his name on the scoresheet with 8 minutes gone, when he dummied a closing defender before thumping over. Kille would respond for his team, going short with a long distance free before getting the return pass and firing over. Early substitute Niall McElroy added another score, closely followed by a fine point from Kevin Smith to bring Lisnaskea level with a quarter of the game gone.

Brian Cox, scorer of the second goal, claims possession in the middle sector (TF)

Belcoo would pounce for their second goal in the 16th minute, as a shot which dropped short caused chaos with Brian Cox getting a hand to the ball to put his team 3 points ahead. A marauding run by Skea midfielder Tom Clarke ended with his goal attempt going agonisingly wide before Shane McCabe set up Feeley for his second point of the day, ending a spell of 10 minutes without a score for either side. Niall McElroy broke through the Belcoo rear-guard to shoot his second point, followed shortly after by Adam McKenna who slotted over after Kille played him in. Ryan Leonard would loft over a fine effort for Belcoo to leave them 3 ahead at half time.

   James McGrath on the ball for the O'Rahilly's during the first half (TF)

Half time: Belcoo 2-3 Lisnaskea 0-6

The second half would also begin with an early goal, when Niall McElroy saw his outrageous long range goal effort come back of the upright, only for Daniel Kille to put away the rebound and bring the sides level once again. Lisnaskea would go ahead in the 37th minute as the accurate Kille made no mistake with a free from an acute angle. Second half substitute Aaron Dolan would bring Belcoo back level on 41 minutes with a fine score, before James McGrath pointed from quite a distance to the delight of the Belcoo support. Belcoo were on top at this stage and Feeley stretched their lead to 3, shrugging off his marker before putting the ball between the sticks on the 46th minute.

  Jonathan Feeley takes on Mark McKenna during the second half (TF)

The lead would be extended to 4 when Ryan Leonard's run at the heart of the Skea defence saw him set up Shane McCabe for a point. With 50 minutes gone, Goalkeeper Gary Doherty made a fine save to deny Lisnaskea forward Ryan O’Keefe a game changing goal. Chris McCabe and another free from the boot of Kille would reduce the margin to the minimum before Feeley showcased his free taking quality with a fine score from a tight angle to leave them 2 ahead on 55 minutes. Belcoo would soon be reduced to 14 men, as Gavin Leonard, who had a fine game shadowing danger-man Kille picked up a second yellow.

Daniel Kille would convert another free after O’Keefe was fouled to leave it a one point game once again in the 62nd minute. With 5 minutes of added time to play, Lisnaskea were pushing hard for an equaliser.

 Gerard McHugh surges forward to win a late free which proved the winning score as Paul McGrath converted (TF)

Belcoo sub Gerard McHugh had different ideas however, and went on a tremendous run drawing a foul which was gratefully converted by Paul McGrath to give them a 2 point cushion with a minute remaining. Lisnaskea would reduce the margin to 1 yet again, with Kille tapping over a 14 yard free but Belcoo were able to win the resultant kick-out thanks to Conlon and the whistle blew to start their celebrations.





There are no comments yet.

You must be logged in and associated with this team to post comments. If you are logged in and associated with this team, then your user association type does not have sufficient permissions to post comments.