Log In to Interact.
       Lost Password?    Register

Belcoo O'Rahilly's

Like & Share:


U16s Edge Out Enniskillen

Box Score

Sep. 28, 2017

U16 Division 4: Belcoo 3-13 v 4-6 Enniskillen Gaels

Belcoo edged out Enniskillen in a frantic finale in near darkness at MacNean Park this evening. The width of the post denying the Gaels a leveller in added time before Oisin O’Loughlin drilled over an insurance point to give Belcoo a four point win. 

The result means Belcoo will, at worst, be in a three way playoff. Should Ederney beat Enniskillen in their final game, Belcoo & Ederney will compete in the League Final. Should Enniskillen win, all three teams will have lost once meaning playoffs are required. 


The Under 16 side before the game in their new RHK Mechanical Installations Ltd jerseys kindly sponsored by Ronan Keaney

The Gaels made a fierce start with the wind in their back, 1-3 to no score 7minutes in. Belcoo would eventually manufacture a score into the stiff breeze, Lawrence McKeown knocking over a free. Oran McCann powered through for a point but the Gaels were to register another goal. 15mins on the clock, the visitors 2-3 to 0-2 up. 

The O’Rahilly’s rallied really well before the break, Gerry Nolan won a ball he had no right to get to in the right corner back position, he carried it forward to Patrick Martin who in turn sent Josh Killilea away down the right sideline. Killilea cut in to fed Lawrence McKeown who slipped Emmett McGuinness in for a well taken goal. 

Belcoo were now holding the upper hand, Oisin O’Loughlin and Conor McKeown were finding pockets of space as outlets in around the middle, Daniel O’Connor and Ben McNulty were denying their men possession with Fiachra McAloon showing well inside. McAloon was fouled for a free, McKeown tapped over. Emmett McGuinness then cut the deficit to two with a point from play. 

As half time approached the Gaels added a long range free but Oisin O’Loughlin had the final say of the half, swivelling to point from 20yards after a ball in by Patrick Martin. 2-4 to 1-5 Belcoo trailed. 

The Gaels made a good opening to the second half but failed to add to their tally. It took five minutes to register. The hardworking Cormac McHugh driving forward to feed Oisin O’Loughlin for a fine point before Gerry Nolan again began the attack that yielded a second O’Rahilly’s goal. 

Nolan claimed the break ball on the right and offloaded to the supporting Josh Killilea, he dinked the ball into Lawrence McKeown who beat a few defenders before cracking a shot to the net off his left foot, the ball striking the underside of the bar en route. 2-6 to 2-4, Belcoo ahead for the first time in the contest.

Conor McKeown broke the next kickout to Fiachra McAloon, he supplied the pass for Lawrence McKeown’s score while Oran McCann hit a good long range free however Enniskillen were starting to have some more joy going forward, breaking in numbers from defence as Belcoo failed to track the runners. A quick 1-1 had the game back in the melting pot, tied with 12mins to play. Belcoo 2-8 v 3-5 Enniskillen. 

Daniel O’Connor made a great turnover with the Gaels looking likely to score again, he moved out through the middle, slipped it to McGuinness who kicked long to McKeown and he curled it over from distance. The Gaels matched the effort, Ross Bogue with a close range free. 

The key score for Belcoo proved a fortuitous one, Oisin O’Loughlin’s attempt for a point dropping under the bar for a three pointer. It sparked a wee burst from the home side. Lawrence McKeown hitting three points in as many minutes to send his side six clear, again a fine turnover from Daniel O’Connor, good work from Matthew Mulvey and a clever pass from O’Loughlin setting McKeown up for what were three identical wind assisted scores from 30 odd yards. 

Just when it looked safe with two minutes to play, Enniskillen weaved a great move but Jamie Ray made a stunning save. It was a sign, moments later they weaved another, this time they did hit the net. Three in it. 

Enniskillen would win the next ball and went seeking another goal, the shot struck the post, an almighty scramble in sued. Bodies were being flung at every ball by Belcoo defenders, eventually a foul on Mark Ferguson stopped the bedlam. 

Oran McCann drove the free from the 20m line, long and hard downfield. It broke for Oisin O’Loughlin who played a one two with Jack Greene before O’Loughlin put four between them. 

Job done. Belcoo the winners, 3-13 to 4-6. 

Ederney v Enniskillen is due to be played Saturday. Belcoo will train Tuesday at 7pm. 

Team (15 a side). Jamie Ray, Daniel O’Connor, Mark Ferguson, Ben McNulty, Gerry Nolan, Matthew Mulvey, Patrick Martin, Cormac McHugh, Oran McCann (0-2), Josh Killilea, Emmett McGuinness (1-1), Conor McKeown, Lawrence McKeown (1-7), Oisin O’Loughlin (1-3), Fiachra McAloon. Subs Oisin Leonard and Jack Greene. 

Division 4 League Table


Team P W D L F A Pts
Ederney St Joseph's 4 4 0 0 168 53 8
Belcoo O`Rahilly's 5 4 0 1 78 79 8
Enniskillen Gaels
4 3 0 1 97 74 6
5 1 0 4 110 115 2
4 1 0 3 74 89 2
Coa O`Dwyer's 4 0 0 4 41 158 0






There are no comments yet.

You must be logged in and associated with this team to post comments. If you are logged in and associated with this team, then your user association type does not have sufficient permissions to post comments.