Log In to Interact.
       Lost Password?    Register

Belcoo O'Rahilly's

Like & Share:


U14 Boys Reach Feile Final But Lose To Strong Lisnaskea Side

Apr. 15, 2018

After winning their Quarter Final and Semi Final Belcoo U14 Boys came up against a strong Lisnaskea side in the Feile na nOg Final as the Emmett’s advance to represent Fermanagh in the All Ireland later this year. 

 Back L-R: Josh Killilea, Sean Boylan, Conor McKeown, Jack Greene,Colum Higgins, Jamie Ray, Cian White, Thomas Parker.

Front L-R: Kayce Sweeney, Patrick Magee, Finn Maes, Eoin Corrigan, Nathan McGovern, Lorcan Leonard, Michael Burns, Rhys Ray.

QUARTER FINAL: Belcoo 2-5 v 0-3 Tempo

A strong wind had a say on all games today. Belcoo began the day with an opening Querter Final contest with Tempo. It was hard going on the big field but after a slow start the O’Rahilly’s had themselves two up at the interval 1-1 to 0-2. Eoin Corrigan finishing the goal after some great work by Conor McKeown in defence while Jack Greene provided the assist with a good ball into Corrigan. Michael Burns has knocked over the point while there were some good passages of play on the right with Patrick Magee and Colum Higgins. The O’Rahilly’s took a firm grip of the game early in the second half when playing with the wind. Rhys Ray did great work in the right corner to recycle the ball to Greene who in turn found Josh Killilea, his long ball was punched to the net by Jamie Ray. 

Josh Killilea, was heavily involved in all Belcoo’s good work and he added two points from distance via frees when Colum Higgins and Nathan McGovern were upended. Tempo had pressed hard for goals but the excellent Conor McKeown stood firm at full back with Thomas Parker and Finn Maes getting good hands in to thwart their opposite numbers. McKeown distribution setting Belcoo on their way to manys a promising attack. Belcoo would curtail Tempo to one point in the second half while Cian White and Jack Greene slotted over points at the other end for a 2-5 to 0-3 win. 

 Colum Higgins in action during the Quarter Final with Tempo


SEMI FINAL: Belcoo 4-6 v 4-2 Enniskillen Gaels

The Semi Final was a titanic tussle with Enniskillen Gaels. The O’Rahilly’s were seven down at one stage in this tie before a fabulous five minute spell turned the game in their favour in the second half. 

Belcoo would make a great start, having won the throw up Jamie Ray drove forward and slipped Eoin Corrigan in for a well taken goal. Enniskillen though would power downfield and bang in three goals and a point to lead 3-1 to 1-0. 

The O’Rahilly’s though defended manfully over the closing minutes of the first half. Lorcan Leonard making one good save while Jamie Ray and Conor McKeown swooped to take balls off the line. The deficit would be four at the interval as on the stroke of half time a great move upfield between Colum Higgins and Josh Killilea seen the latter hit the crossbar and Michael Burns was on hand to apply the finish for a goal. 

 Jack Greene attempts to halt an Enniskillen defender

The five minute spell previously mentioned was Belcoo’s best period over the entire weekend. Jamie Ray sent Michael Burns away for a great goal before Josh Killilea hit three mighty points in less than 90seconds as he won kickout after kickout.  Michael Burns popped up with a fourth point in a row and all of a sudden Belcoo led 3-4 to 3-1. 

Back came Enniskillen with goal to level this tie once more. Points were traded, Michael Burns with the Belcoo score for 3-5 to 4-2 with 6minutes to play. It was end to end and there was some great dispossession by Colum Higgins, Conor McKeown and Jamie Ray to turn over ball and keep Belcoo coming forward.

Belcoo would work a great move that ended with a Jamie Ray point.  Nathan McGovern, Finn Maes and Sean Boylan combining in the defensive sector as the ball was brought upfield and into the hands of Jamie Ray who restored the lead with his strike from distance. 

 Rhy Ray fastens onto a ball in the Semi Final  

The O’Rahilly’s would be awarded a penalty as the Ray brothers combined to create an opening that needed a foot block to deny the goal. Jamie Ray duly dispatched to the net, 4-6 to 4-2.

This was the final score but 4 nervy minutes followed. Again, Conor McKeown came up with some strong tackles and superb distribution to relieve the pressure, Jack Greene, Higgins, Burns and Killilea carried the ball forward while Lorcan Leonard did well to push a low drive around the post. 


FINAL: Lisnaskea 7-8 v 2-1 Belcoo

The final was to be a one sided affair. A physically strong Lisnaskea side who only played one game to reach the decider. Littered with quality in all sectors they brushed a side a tiring Belcoo team, 7-8 to 2-1. 

Half time seen it the score 4-4 to 1-0. Jack Greene finishing a well worked move on 6minutes for his side. Josh Killilea registered a neat point from a free out wide on the left wing while Jamie Ray plundered a late consolation goal. 

 Michael Burns with two Lisnaskea men closing in

Overall with was a good weekend, 6 matches and 3 hours of competitive football was played. There were great strong showings from a number of our players while the younger lads all put in a good shifts against their bigger opponents and enjoyed themselves. 

Panel of players were: Lorcan Leonard, Thomas Parker, Conor McKeown, Sean Boylan, Jack Greene (0-1), Josh Killilea (0-6), Finn Maes, Jamie Ray (3-1), Colum Higgins, Patrick Magee, Michael Burns (2-3), Eoin Corrigan (2-0), Rhys Ray, Cian White (0-1), Nathan McGovern and Kayce Sweeney. 




There are no comments yet.

You must be logged in and associated with this team to post comments. If you are logged in and associated with this team, then your user association type does not have sufficient permissions to post comments.