Log In to Interact.
       Lost Password?    Register

Belcoo O'Rahilly's

Like & Share:


Juniors: Devenish 2-6 Belcoo 3-11

Box Score

Jun. 26, 2010

Belcoo recovered from a woeful first half to overturn an 8 point deficit into a 8point victory on Saturday evening in Garrison. In the opening period Devenish were dominant in all parts of the field but in the closing 25minutes Belcoo hit top gear and recovered to leave themselves 2 points clear at the top of the table with one game in hand.

Devenish opened the scoring through Gerard Love but Gavin Leonard responded for Belcoo. Gerard Love kicked a free before Darren Maguire pointed from play as the Belcoo defense struggled to come to terms with the movement of the Devenish forwards. Belcoo's error ridden first half was to get worse when Paul Coyle hit the net for Devenish in the 18minute. It wasn't until the 26th minute that Belcoo registered their second score, this one coming from a Patrick Burns free.

In the closing moments of the first half Belcoo introduced James Stewart and Seamus Conlon but Gerard Love pointed from another free as Devenish continued to pick off scores. Belcoo's Sean McNulty kicked the last score of the half to leave the score Devenish 1-5 Belcoo 0-3. Belcoo made their third substitution of the game at the interval as Jonathan Feeley came on at corner forward.

The second half was only 20seconds old when Darren Maguire had the ball in the net for Devenish after collecting the ball from strong running Jason Love and firing under Aidan Leonard in the Belcoo goals. This score opened up an 8point lead for the home side and following Belcoo's limp first half showing it looked like Devenish would cruise to victory.

In the 32nd minute Belcoo worked there best score of the game, John Carrigan found Aidan McGrath who slipped the ball to Jonathan Feeley, Feeley's kicked pass was collected by Ian Corrigan who off loaded to Gavin Leonard and the twin made no mistake as he found the top right hand corner of the net.

From the resulting kickout Belcoo won possession and Gavin Leonard pointed from 25yards. At this Belcoo looked up for the fight and although they still trailed by 4points the game was starting to turn in their favour. The next score of the game came in the 39minute and it was a second Belcoo goal. Again the build up was excellent as the ball was transfered at pace between John Carrigan, Aidan McGrath and Mark McGovern before finding its way to Ian Corrigan who finished low into the corner.

John Carrigan fired over from distance to level the game at 2-5 to 2-5 in the 41st minute. Devenish hit the front for the last time as they registered their only point in the second half. Gavin Leonard rattled in 1-1 in the space of 60seconds to set Belcoo on their way to victory. Jonathan Feeley then scored from distance before Gavin Leonard registered again. Patrick Burns pointed two frees in the closing stages as Belcoo ran out comfortable winners.

In a first half to forget, Ryan McGovern was probably the pick of Belcoo's players. In the second period James Stewart, Stephen Nolan and Eoin Leonard got their hands on alot of ball while Sean McNulty battled hard around the middle. Gavin Leonard came to the fore with a personal tally of 2-4 and Jonathan Feeley made his presence felt in the second half too.

TEAM: Aidan Leonard, Shane McAloon, Mark McGovern, Ryan McGovern, Shain Gallagher, Eoin Leonard, Stephen Nolan, John Carrigan (0-1), Sean McNulty (0-1), Niall Cullen, Patrick Burns (0-3), Gavin Leonard (2-4), Aidan McGrath, Ian Corrigan (1-0), Nevan Higgins. SUBS Used: James Stewart, Seamus Conlon, Jonathan Feeley (0-2), Gerard Mellor.




There are no comments yet.

You must be logged in and associated with this team to post comments. If you are logged in and associated with this team, then your user association type does not have sufficient permissions to post comments.