Log In to Interact.
       Lost Password?    Register

Belcoo O'Rahilly's

Like & Share:


JUNIOR CHAMPIONSHIP: Derrygonnelly 0-12 Belcoo 2-6

Box Score

Jul. 13, 2010

A late John Carrigan free kick ensured this Junior Championship Quarter Final will need a replay to decide the winner following a closely fought game in Garrison on Tuesday evening.

It was Derrygonnelly who opened the scoring in the fifth minute, Barry McGrath pointed from long distance before Belcoo replied within 60seconds as Ian Corrigan got himself on the scoresheet. Barry McGrath who was to finish with a personal tally of 0-8 got the next two scores of the game, both of which came from play to leave Derrygonnelly 0-3 to 0-1 in front after 10minutes.

Belcoo took the lead in the 12minute as a well worked move between Nevan Higgins and Ian Corrigan seen the latter beat his man before squaring the ball to Aidan McGrath who found the bottom corner of the net from 14yards. Barry McGrath levelled matters with a close range free but it was Belcoo who would finish the half strongly and a Gavin Leonard point along with a Patrick Burns free kick and a good John Carrigan score left it Derrygonnelly 0-4 Belcoo 1-4 at the break.

Derrygonnelly were quickly out of the blocks in the second period and within the first minute points from Ruairi Dundas and Barry McGrath had reduced Belcoo's deficit to one point.

Belcoo's first score of the half was to be a second goal and again it was Aidan McGrath who slotted the ball beyond the Derrygonnelly goalkeeper. In the build up, Seamus Conlon who had an excellent hour in midfield made a great driving run through the heart of the Derrygonnelly defence before feeding Ian Corrigan, who's superb reverse pass found McGrath in space in front of the goal and the wing forward finished to the net. Damian Dundas and Patrick Burns traded good points from play to leave the score Derrygonnelly 0-7 Belcoo 2-5 with 20minutes remaining.

In the final quarter Derrygonnelly had their best spell of the game as they kicked five unanswered points to put themselves in front as the game drew to a close. Ruairi Dundas fired over from all of 40yards before substitute Conal Jonas fisted a point and then three Barry McGrath free kicks left them one point ahead with two minutes remaining.

Belcoo were awarded a free in the 60th minute and with no right foot kicker on the field, the left footed John Carrigan decided to kick from the wrong side and his effort sailed over the bar to level the game. Carrigan had an late free from a difficult angle to win the game for Belcoo but the effort dropped short and the referee blew the full time whistle.

In truth a draw was probably a fair result and the replay should be another tight encounter. A date and time has still to be arranged however you would expect Garrison to be the venue again with next Tuesday evening (20th July)the most likely date as the Semi Final is scheduled for Tuesday 27th.

TEAM: Aidan Leonard, Ryan McGovern, Shane McAloon, Eoin Leonard, Patrick Burns (0-2), Christopher Leonard, Declan Leonard, Sean McNulty, Seamus Conlon, Aidan McGrath (2-0), John Carrigan (0-2), Patrick McGinley, Nevan Higgins, Ian Corrigan (0-1), Gavin Leonard (0-1) SUBS Used Jonathan Feeley, James Stewart and Niall Cullen.




There are no comments yet.

You must be logged in and associated with this team to post comments. If you are logged in and associated with this team, then your user association type does not have sufficient permissions to post comments.