Log In to Interact.
       Lost Password?    Register

Belcoo O'Rahilly's

Like & Share:


JUNIOR REPLAY: Belcoo 1-9 Derrygonnelly 1-7

Box Score

Jul. 20, 2010

Belcoo progressed into the Junior Championship Semi-Final following a two point victory over Derrygonnelly on a very wet Tuesday evening in Garrison.

It was Belcoo who opened the scoring in the 2nd minute when a high ball into the area by Nevan Higgins was fisted over the bar by Gavin Leonard. Moments later Declan Leonard collected a breaking ball and drove forward before kicking a good score from distance.

Derrygonnelly hit the net in the 5th minute following their first real venture into Belcoo territory, a cross field Noel Gallagher pass was fisted to the net by Damian Dundas. Centre Half Back Declan Cassidy added a point from play but this was to be Derrygonnelly's last score of the opening half.

Jonathan Feeley kicked a close range free before taking a good score from play to level the scores at 1-1 to 0-4. The next Belcoo score was from the lively Nevan Higgins who found the net in the 16th minute after collecting the ball in front of goals he made no mistake in hitting the net from 10yards. John Carrigan added a free before Belcoo worked their best score of the half. Nevan Higgins and Declan Leonard combined well down the right hand side, before the latter released the ball to Gavin Leonard who ran in along the endline and fisted a point.

John Carrigan kicked his second free of the half to leave the score Belcoo 1-7 Derrygonnelly 1-1 at the break.

Derrygonnelly's hero of last week Barry McGrath had dropped a few frees short in the opening half but he made no mistake at the start of the second with a 25yard free, Patrick Burns responded with a similiar free for Belcoo before both players then traded scores from play. The Belcoo score was a well worked flowing move from the left corner back area into the right corner forward position where Burns kicked over his score from an acute angle.

This score 9minutes into the second half was to be Belcoo's last of the game, they started to drop deep and the break balls Belcoo were winning in the first period were now been collected by the Derrygonnelly players. Declan Cassidy pointed a good score from play to close the gap to five points. Two more frees in the 45th and 47th minute from Barry McGrath reduced the deficit further.

Belcoo defended well over the closing stages as they hung onto the lead they established earlier in match however substitute Anthony Maguire did manage to fist a score for Derrygonnelly which closed the gap to just two points. The remaining 5 minutes were ill-tempered and Belcoo were reduced to 14men when Jonathan Feeley received his marching orders for an off the ball incident.

The Semi Final is scheduled for Tuesday 27th July, the draw for the Semi has still to be made. Belcoo have joined Roslea, Teemore and the winner of the other Quarter Final Replay played tonight between Tempo and St. Joseph's in the last four.

TEAM: Aidan Leonard, Ryan McGovern, Eoin Leonard, Shane McAloon, Declan Leonard (0-1), Sean McNulty, James Stewart, John Carrigan (0-2), Seamus Conlon, Patrick McGinley, Jonathan Feeley (0-2), Patrick Burns (0-2), Gavin Leonard (0-2), Aidan McGrath, Nevan Higgins (1-0). SUB Used: Stephen Nolan




There are no comments yet.

You must be logged in and associated with this team to post comments. If you are logged in and associated with this team, then your user association type does not have sufficient permissions to post comments.