Log In to Interact.
       Lost Password?    Register

Belcoo O'Rahilly's

Like & Share:



Box Score

Jul. 27, 2010

Belcoo advanced to the Junior Championship Final thanks to an impressive final 20minutes which seen them come from behind to secure an 8point victory and a place in the 14th August Final where they will face Roslea, who beat Tempo 0-13 to 0-11 in the other Semi.

Teemore's Gary Fitzpatrick kicked the opening score in the 2nd minute before Declan Leonard advanced from wing back to fire over from an acute angle. Shain Gallagher registered Belcoo second score in the 14th minute but Teemore drew level again from a John Fitzpatrick free. Patrick Burns and Gary Fitzpatrick traded scores before Eugene Wynne and John Carrigan got themselves on the scoresheet to leave it 0-4 each with 5minutes remaining to the half.

John Carrigan sustained a shoulder injury at this stage and was forced off, hopefully its not as serious as it looks as Carrigan has been an influential Senior player throughout the season. In the closing moments of the half Belcoo hit a scoring spurt with Declan Leonard kicking another excellent score before Ian Corrigan rolled his man and fired into the roof of the net. Patrick Burns kicked a free and a well taken point from play by Burns meant Belcoo lead 1-7 to 0-4 at the interval.

Teemore had there best period of the game in what was a frantic opening 10minutes to the second half. Their substitute Ciaran Fitzpatrick landed a good point, however Declan Leonard burst down the middle to fire over another score for Belcoo. Both sides were then reduced to 14men following two separate incidents within the one move, Gary Fitzpatrick and Seamus Conlon were the men who received their marching orders.

Teemore then found the net twice in the space of 60seconds, the first a high ball in round the square was fisted to the net while the second was a long range free from Ciaran Brady that Christopher Leonard let slip through his hands on the goal-line. With Belcoo at sixes and sevens at the back John Fitzpatrick got through one on one and elected to clip the ball over the bar when a goal was there for the taking. Teemore now led 2-6 to 1-8 and the game was starting to reach real championship pace.

Belcoo steadied themselves and after having a bad 10minutes they bounced back with three free kicks from Patrick Burns to regain the lead. Ciaran Brady reduced the deficit to one point but Belcoo finished very strongly in the last quarter as Teemore started to find the pace of the game catch up with them.

Declan Leonard knocked over his fourth point from play before Shain Gallagher kicked a great score from the right wing, Sean McNulty got himself into space 35yards out and made no mistake with his effort to increase Belcoo's lead to 1-14 to 2-7. A well worked move in the 59th minute seen Gavin Leonard's goal bound effort handled on the ground inside the 6yard box by a defender resulting in a penalty. Declan Leonard made no mistake with his spot kick before Gavin Leonard kicked the last score of the game to leave it Belcoo 2-15 Teemore 2-7.

TEAM: Aidan Leonard, Ryan McGovern, Shane McAloon, James Stewart, Declan Leonard (1-4), Sean McNulty (0-1), Eoin Leonard, John Carrigan (0-2), Seamus Conlon, Aidan McGrath, Patrick Burns (0-6), Shain Gallagher (0-2), Gavin Leonard (0-1), Ian Corrigan (1-0), Nevan Higgins. SUBS Used Christopher Leonard, Stephen Nolan, Niall Cullen 




There are no comments yet.

You must be logged in and associated with this team to post comments. If you are logged in and associated with this team, then your user association type does not have sufficient permissions to post comments.