Log In to Interact.
       Lost Password?    Register

Belcoo O'Rahilly's

Like & Share:


SENIORS: Belcoo 2-10 St. Josephs 1-15

Box Score

Sep. 4, 2010

Belcoo squandered the chance to return to the top of the league following Roslea's earlier defeat to Teemore by suffering a 2point loss at home to St.Josephs. As a result, Belcoo still have some work to do to secure a top 4 place that will allow them to compete for the league semi finals. St. Joseph's on the other hand now only need one win from their remaining games to survive another season in the top flight of Fermanagh football and force Teemore into Division 2 along with the previously relegated Erne Gaels team.

Belcoo started the brighter in this tie and raced into a 0-4 to 0-2 lead in the opening 10 minutes, Niall McGovern got forward from Full Back to open the scoring before Gavin Leonard, Ciarán Flaherty and Paul McGrath all registered good scores from play. The St. Josephs response was from two placed kicks from Paul McCusker.

Over the next 10 minutes Belcoo added scores from Kieran Leonard and two John Carrigan frees while Aaron Dennison and Paul McCusker scores left it 0-7 to 0-4. St. Joseph's then hit a purple patch over the closing moments of the first half as Paul McCusker knocked over some more frees, a good score from Martin McGrath and a Peter Gormley point put the away side in the lead with a John Carrigan free the sole response from Belcoo. That meant St. Joseph's went in at the break leading by 0-9 to 0-8.

Upon the resumption Belcoo found the net, some strong running from Kieran Leonard lead to an attempted score however his miskicked shot landed into the hands of Brian Cox 8yards out and the big full forward made no mistake as he fired to the net. Ronan Ferguson tapped over a 14 yard free before St. Joseph's who dominanted the midfield sector throughout took contol of the game.

Declan McCusker pointed before his brother Paul added two more close range frees. Declan Leonard advanced from wing back to put Belcoo 1-10 to 0-12 in front but St. Joseph's then had there best passage of play as a sweeping move up the field led to Paul McCusker feeding Declan McCusker and the forward rifled the ball into the roof of the Belcoo net.

With Belcoo two points down and 10 minutes remaining Declan Leonard launched a sideline ball into the square and after a fumbled attempted catch from a St. Joseph's defender, Paul McGrath was on hand to turn and fire the ball beyond the advancing keeper and into the net to put Belcoo into the lead 2-10 to 1-12. This however was to be Belcoo last score of the game.

Paul McCusker added two frees and with the game entering the closing moments but unfortunately for Belcoo they kicked 3 wides and lost possession in a number of attacks as St. Joseph's stood firm and hung on for a vital two points. In a counter attack close to the end Martin McGrath added another St. Joseph's point meaning Belcoo needed a goal to salvage anything from the game. This goal never came and the game ended Belcoo 2-10 (16) St. Joseph's 1-15 (18).

TEAM: James McGrath, Ryan Leonard, Niall McGovern (0-1), Ryan McGovern, Niall Leonard, Mark McGovern, Declan Leonard (0-1), Stephen Maguire, John Carrigan (0-3), Paul McGrath (1-1), Ciarán Flaherty (0-1), Kieran Leonard (0-1), Ronan Ferguson (0-1), Brian Cox (1-0), Gavin Leonard (0-1). SUBS Jonathan Feeley, Ian Corrigan.




There are no comments yet.

You must be logged in and associated with this team to post comments. If you are logged in and associated with this team, then your user association type does not have sufficient permissions to post comments.