Log In to Interact.
       Lost Password?    Register

Belcoo O'Rahilly's

Like & Share:


U21's Make Winning Start

Box Score

Nov. 28, 2011

The Belcoo Under 21's team overcame St. Patrick's by a score of 2-12 to 1-7 on Sunday afternoon in Blacklion but in truth the score line doesn't reflect the game. Belcoo produced a lacklustre performance and the visitors held the lead for the majority of the tie only for Belcoo to finish strongly as they hit 2-5 without reply over the closing quarter.

It was the introduction of Kieran Conlon at full forward for the injured Jonathan Feeley which swung the game in Belcoo’s favour. Trailing 1-7 to 0-7 after 48minutes, Conlon got a goal with his first touch as he fisted a high ball into the net. Within 60seconds Ronan Ferguson latched onto a loose ball and drilled it into the net for a second Belcoo goal. Gavin Leonard then hit three good points from play within three minutes and the game was essentially over as Belcoo now led 2-10 to 1-7 entering the last 5minutes.

St. Pat’s will be kicking themselves because in an opening half that they dominated they only led by two points at the interval. Some wayward shooting and under hit shots which Patrick Sweeney caught underneath the crossbar proved costly misses in the end. Belcoo didn’t look up for the fight in the first half and had St. Pat’s taken their chances, few would have foreseen a comeback.

The sides traded 7 points in a bright opening 10minutes. Ronan Ferguson opened the scoring from play while John Treacy landed a good St. Pat’s score before Ferguson and Jonathan Feeley registered frees for Belcoo but James Reilly fired over a few scores for St. Pat’s to see them lead 0-4 to 0-3.

Feeley levelled matters but John Treacy who was having an excellent game at midfield advanced forward and kicked another score from distance to restore their lead. Philip Leonard levelled matters with a long range effort before St. Pat’s hit the net. A sweeping move in the 28th minute found the corner forward who tucked the under Sweeney in the Belcoo goals. A late Ferguson free ended the half with St. Pat’s leading 1-5 to 0-6.

John Treacy and a Ruairi McGrade free kick early in the second half extended the visitiors lead to 4points. Patrick Sweeney made a great one on one save to deny a goal in the 3rd minute of the half and had this went in you wouldn’t have fancied Belcoo getting back into the game. Again St. Pat’s who had dominated the opening part of the half kicked some poor wides and dropped balls short from good positions.

It took Belcoo 12minutes to register in the second half, Jonathan Feeley was on target to reduce the deficit to three. Feeley was replaced by Conlon moments later following a hamstring strain. Conlon had an immediate effect with a goal and also providing assists for some of Gavin Leonard’s scores as Belcoo went into overdrive. Philip Leonard landed the last two points of the game as Belcoo ran out winners by 8points. St. Pat’s did get a penalty in the final minute but McGrade blazed wide.

Next Sunday Belcoo face Kinawley at 2pm in Kinawley. A win will see them face St. Pat’s in the League Final.

Team: Patrick Sweeeny, Ryan Leonard, James Stewart, Niall Cullen, Eoin Leonard, Martin Corrigan, Ronan Ferguson (1-3, 2frees), Stephen Nolan, Aaron Dolan, Michael Leonard, Gavin Leonard (0-3), Philip Leonard (0-3, 1free), Jonathan Feeley (0-3, 1free). Subs Used: Patrick Burns, Kieran Conlon (1-0), James McGourty.




There are no comments yet.

You must be logged in and associated with this team to post comments. If you are logged in and associated with this team, then your user association type does not have sufficient permissions to post comments.