Log In to Interact.
       Lost Password?    Register
Lithgow Storm Junior Rugby League  Logo

Sep 23, 2016 - Panthers/Wayde Egan into Grand Final

Wayde Egan greets supporters after scoring for the Panthers U/20 NYC in the preliminary final win against Nth Qld Cowboys

Former Lithgow Storm junior Wayde Egan will play in the Grand Final for Penrith Panthers in the NRL's U/20 Competition, The NYC Cup.

The NYC Panthers have powered their way into the 2016 Holden Cup Grand Final with a 32-16 victory over North Queensland Cowboys at Allianz Stadium on Friday.

Panthers NYC coach Cam Ciraldo made a late adjustment to his side with Wayde Egan moved into starting hooker and Soni Luke dropping to the bench.

The defending champions looked set for a comfortable win after they raced out to an 18-0 lead inside the opening quarter of the game, but their passage to the NYC grand final was only secured six minutes from full-time when Daniel Brown punished some soft North Queensland defence from a scrum to sprint 80 metres to score.   

The Cowboys were dealt a huge blow before kick-off with star fullback Kalyn Ponga withdrawn from the squad as cover for Kane Linnett in the NRL side. 

Their cause wasn't helped when Nick Lui Toso was forced off just before half-time with a knee problem and then Marcus Jensen was helped from the field after 50 minutes with a foot injury to severely blunt their threat in attack. 

It took just five minutes for the Panthers to assert their dominance when skipper Oliver Clark charged onto an inside ball from Dean Blore to barge over next to the posts. 

Wayde Egan should have extended Penrith's lead five minutes later when he caught the Cowboys napping on the last tackle but dropped the ball over the line in the process of scoring. 

Luck looked to have eluded the Panthers soon after when some quick thinking from flashy fullback Dylan Edwards saw him streak clear from a penalty tap only for Cowboys speedster Gideon Gela-Mosby to reel him in 10 metres short.

It mattered little for the minor premiers as Cowen Epere made it two from two for the front-rowers to bash his way over before Edwards sliced through from the following set to make it 18-0 after 18 minutes. 

With the Panthers keeping up with the clock for the opening quarter of the game, North Queensland desperately needed a response so they turned to prop Nicholas Brown to somehow muscle his way over despite the attention of five would-be defenders to cut the gap to 12. 

That would prove to be a minor blip on the radar for Penrith as Ratu Tuisese collected a brilliant offload from Christian Crichton to dive over in the left corner for his 22nd try of the season. 

Not to be outdone, Cowboys winger Marcus Jensen showed why he is the leading try scorer in the NYC as he flirted with the sideline for 30 metres before touching down for his 27th four-pointer of 2016 to make it 22-10 at the break.

After a back-and-forth start to the second stanza, the game exploded into life in the 54th minute when Panthers centre Braidon Burns was sent to the sin bin for a professional foul that denied a certain North Queensland try.

From the ensuing set, Cowboys No.9 Brandon Smith burrowed over for his 18th try of the season to make it a six-point gap before Soni Luke was somehow denied an immediate hit-back at the other end. 

North Queensland looked certain to draw level in the 68th minute when Gela-Mosby broke into open pastures, but instead of taking the tackle, opted for an audacious flick pass that was picked off by the Panthers. 

It would prove to be a crucial play as a simple one-on-one miss at one end of the field led to an 80-metre try to Panthers winger Daniel Brown to put the game out of reach before Wayde Egan strolled over to put an exclamation point on the win. 

Panthers 32 (Oliver Clark, Cowen Epere, Dylan Edwards, Ratu Tuisese, Daniel Brown, Wayde Egan tries; Dylan Edwards 4 goals) defeated Cowboys 16 (Nicholas Brown, Marcus Jensen, Brandon Smith tries; Cooper Bambling 2 goals) at Allianz Stadium. Half-time: 22-10 Panthers. 


Sep 16, 2013 - Tigers 36 d. Storm 22 in Grand Final

The "Professionals" Lithgow Storm under 16s courageous finals campaign came to a disappointing end when they lost 36 - 22 to minor premiers Bloomfield Tigers in the Group 10 Grand Final played at Tony Luchetti Sports Ground.

It was a game of two halves and too many penalties in the first half meant that the Storm were always on the back foot and Bloomfield took full advantage running in four tries to lead 24 - 0 and leaving the home side reeling. Storm regrouped and fought back with a good try right on half time when Darcy Allan found Cameron Denley with a good short ball and he was able to get outside the defenders with good pace and score out wide just before half time to reduce the Tiger's lead to 24 - 4.

The Storm started the second half strongly and were pressuring the Bloomfield defence when a try against the run of play extended the Tiger's lead to 28 - 4. The Lithgow side kept their heads up and Wayde Egan soon responded with a try, again after a good inside pass from Darcy Allan. Darcy Allan then scored a try of his own after muscling his way through the Tiger's attempts to pull him down. Both tries were converted by Sam Cameron and Bloomfield's lead was reduced to 28 - 16.

Bloomfield did not let up in intensity though and they were able to score two more tries to lead 36 - 16 before the Storm responded with a late try when Nathan Mc Andrew regathered a Sam Cameron chip-kick to score under the posts. Sam Cameron added the conversion for a final score of 36 - 22 to Bloomfield.

Although disappointed the Storm can be proud of their huge effort to make the Grand Final, defeating CYMS in a mid-week play-off before accounting for Cowra Magpies and dual premiers St Pats in the Final. With only fifteen players, less with injuries etc, the under 16s relied on several under 15s players to play up in order to field a full squad throughout the season and they are applauded for their huge efforts in playing consecutive games throughout the season and winning their own Grand Final against the Cowra Magpies.

Congratulations to the whole team that included ten players from the 2008 U/11 Grand Final victory - Wayde Egan, Cody Godden, Mitchell Case, Darcy Allan, Brad Compton, Nathan Mc Andrew, Chad Osland, Luke Davern, Joel Cama, and Jye Gillespie.; Daniel Griffin who joined in 12s and played with a broken finger sustained at training the night before; Aaron Orford (13s) and Sam Cameron (14s) who both quickly became key players - and debutants Jacob Monaghan and Eric Joyce who both slotted into the team nicely. Congratulations and thankyou to u/15 players Riley Allan, Connor Legge, Karl Wilson, Cameron Denley and Kaleb Ritchie.

On behalf of the team, parents and supporters - thankyou to coach Kyle Egan and trainers Glen Longdon, Nick Kenniff and Trevor Allan for your time and effort throughout the season

Sep 12, 2013 - 16s Team Photo

Team photo

Sep 9, 2013 - Storm Qualify For Grand Final


Fulltime - Lithgow Storm celebrate a hard fought victory


 The "Professionals" Lithgow Storm have qualified for the Grand Final against Bloomfield after winning a tough encounter against 2011 & 2012 premiers St Pats by 16-14.

Both sides scored two tries each and St Pats scored a penalty goal in the first half. Two late penalty goals by Sam Cameron for the Storm were the difference between the two sides in the end.

Lithgow were first on the score board when Sam Cameron totally wrong-footed the defence with a stepping run near the line and he was able to score under the posts and then kick the conversion for a 6 - 0 lead to the Storm.

It was am impressive defensive effort by the Lithgow side as they repelled many St Pats attacking raids in the first half. Darcy Allan and Mitchell Case were punishing in defence and they got good support from Wayde Egan, Aaron Orford and Cody Godden.

St Pats eventually scored their own try after numerous raids on the Storm line to even the scores up 6 - 6 before a St Pats mistake from the kick-off had the Storm in good attacking position. From the ensuing scrum Wayde Egan found Nathan McAndrew running hard and straight and he was too good for the St Pats tacklers scoring adjacent to the posts. Sam Cameron's kick was successful and took the score to 12 - 6 in Storm's favour.St Pats kicked a penalty goal right on half time to reduce the Storm's lead to 12 - 8.

A momentary lapse midway through the second half in the Storm's defensive line saw St Pats hit the lead for the first time in the match when they scored out wide and then converted to lead the Storm 14 - 12.

The Storm threw everything they had at St Pats and went close to scoring on several occasions only to be held out by desperate defence from the Bathurst side. Eventually the pressure from the Lithgow side paid dividends when some poor discipline led to consecutive penalties in kicking range. Sam Cameron kicked both goals to cap an excellent game which included a try and four goals from four.

The "Professionals" Storm stunned the defending premiers with their first win against the Bathurst side since u/12s and now advance to the Grand Final against Bloomfield playing their best footy of the year and looking a real chance of winning the title in their last junior year. 

The Lithgow Storm club has three representatives in Saturday's Grand Finals with the u/12s playing Bathurst Panthers at 11 am and the u/15s (minor premiers) against Cowra Magpies at 2.10 pm before the u/16s play Bloomfield Tigers at 3.30 pm. 

Sep 2, 2013 - Storm win Semi against Magpies


Nathan McAndrew reaches out for the game-winning try in the minor semi



The Professionals Storm under 16 side played the Cowra Magpies in the minor semi final after defeating CYMS 26 - 8 in a mid-week play-off for fourth position. With two minutes to go Storm and Cowra were drawn 28 - 28 before the Lithgow backs were able to manufacture a great try for a 32 - 28 victory.

A Wayde Egan 40/20 gave the Lithgow side an early attacking platform and not long after a neat inside pass from Darcy Allan found Wayde Egan and he was able to score under the posts . Sam Cameron's conversion took the Storm to a 6 - 0 lead.

Cowra struck back soon after to level the scores 6 - 6 before the Storm replied when good hands from Joel Cama and Wayde Egan found Aaron Orford on the fly and he beat the last defender for a good try that was converted by Sam Cameron for a Storm lead of 12 - 6.

The teams continued to go try-for-try when Cowra struck back to narrow Storm's lead to 12 - 10 before good hands , this time from Cody Godden and Darcy Allan, found Daniel Griffin running hard and he was able to score Storm's third try. Sam Cameron's conversion saw the Lithgow side leading 18 - 10 . The Magpies then replied again with a converted try to see the Storm lead 18 - 16 at the half time break.

Cowra scored first in the second half and hit the lead for the first time in the match by 20 - 18. This fired the Storm up and they threw everything at the Magpies, Joel Cama and Aaron Orford missed scoring by the barest of margins before Wayde Egan wrestled his way over the line to score his second. Sam Cameron converted the extras to see Storm reclaim the lead 24 - 20.

Darcy Allan then split the defence from inside his own half with a great run and off-loaded to younger brother Riley Allan, Riley found Connor Legge in support and he in turn found a flying Daniel Griffin and he finished off an excellent team try for a Storm lead of 28 - 20. Cowra weren't finished though and they scored the next two tries to level the scores 28 - 28 with only a couple of minutes remaining.

The game looked destined to go the Magpies way when they split the tired Storm defence and looked headed for the try line before Wayde Egan arrived with speed and stripped the ball back for Lithgow and on the last tackle then chipped ahead for a flying Sam Cameron who regathered and then found Nathan McAndrew running hard and he was able to reach out and plant the ball for a great try despite the attention of a number of defenders. The Professionals Storm won by 32 - 28 in an exciting match and besides those already mentioned Mitchell Case got through a lot of hit-ups and a non-stop effort in defence and Chad Osland was sharp at dummy half..

The Professionals Storm now play St Pats for a place in the Grand Final at Lithgow the following week.

Aug 28, 2013 - Storm win play-off against CYMS

The "Professionals" Storm 16s have qualified for the finals in 4th place after defeating Orange CYMS by 26 - 8 in a mid-week play-off under lights at Charles Sturt Uni. The teams finished on equal points after 14 rounds and after defeating CYMS by 22 - 12 earlier in the season the "Professionals" Storm again showed they are the better team this season.

The Storm will play Cowra Magpies in the minor semi-final at Blayney at 3.00 pm Saturday.



Aug 26, 2013 - Storm to play CYMS for Finals spot


 The Professionals Storm played competition leaders Bloomfield Tigers in Orange in the last round of the competition and despite leading at half time the Storm were eventually beaten 20 - 6 by the home side.

Lithgow scored first when a short ball from Wayde Egan found Darcy Allan running hard and he was too strong for the Tigers' defenders, scoring under the posts. Wayde Egan's conversion was successful for a Storm 6 - 0 lead.

Bloomfield scored a try of their own just before halftime to close the gap to 6 - 4.

Bloomfield gained the ascendancy in the second half when a couple of simple errors at crucial times put the Storm on the back foot. Darcy Allan and Mitchell Case both made huge efforts in defence and the were backed up by some solid tackling from Cody Godden, Wayde Egan and Riley Allan.

The Tigers were able to score three tries in the second half to eventually win by 20 - 6 whilst the Lithgow side showed that they are more than capable of matching it with the competition leader with their first half effort.

 The Professionals Storm have finished in equal fourth position and will have to qualify for the finals with in a play-off against Orange CYMS tomorrow night at CSU Bathurst at 5.30 pm.*

Upcoming GamesNo upcoming games...

Could not parse that RSS feed.