SWAT select softball provides players the opportunity to join the fastpitch travel team experience. Fastpitch softball tournament play is year round. If you are willing to put in the extra effort that is required for select softball…call the SWAT team!
Frequently Asked Questions:
1. Is select softball for everyone? No, it is year round, time consuming and some what costly depending on the team you play for. It takes a high level of commitment, and a strong desire to play high school or college softball.
2. When can I tryout for a select team? Team tryouts are normally in mid August after ASA nationals, and beginning at the first of the calendar year; but individual tryouts can be made year round if a team is in need of a player. Contact the head coach of the team you are interested in for more information.
3. Do all select teams play the same schedule? No, each team is different and can play as much or as little as the team needs. Class B teams will play more Class B tournaments (for beginning teams) Class A teams are more competitive and will travel more in and out of state to find better teams to play against. High level 16U and 18U Gold teams can and will play all over the US, most of these girls will play in College and travel is required to get in front of as many college coaches as possible.
4. What will this cost me? Some teams are sponsored or play only local tournaments and cost can be as little as a few hundred dollars per season. Many teams will travel and after tournament, hotel and travel, uniforms, it can cost well over a thousand dollars a year per player.
5. Am I guaranteed playing time? No. Playing time with select teams is earned, most teams will make sure all players get in most tournaments but time is not divided up equally between players.
6. How much time do I have to commit to play select softball? Most teams practice as a team once or twice a week, players are expected to go to individual hitting and/or pitching/catching lessons (extra cost) each week, and teams play two to three weekends a month. Time off is normally December thru February, August, and high school season for the older players.
7. Can I be cut from a select team at anytime? Yes. Most teams have player contracts and keep players for a year at a time, but the player can be released at anytime if player or parent actions, lack of commitment (practice time, skill loss, etc..) or lack of playing time become an issue.
8.How do I find out more about Team S.W.A.T.? For more information call 713-304-9128 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
9. What do the age classifications mean?
All fastpitch teams are based on even numbered ages, so each girl has the option to play 2 years in a specific age group. Your birth date determines which age group to play in and all are based on your age as of January 1 of the current year. Example: 12 and under allows girls with the birth dates between January 1, 1995 to December 31, 1996 or younger to play.
10. Can my daughter play up in another age group? Yes, all girls can play up based on their skill level and team need. No girls can play down an age group and it is based on their birth date.